Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Honestly Assessing Your Weaknesses

I never got around to reporting on last Thursday's game, the last in the Reno Class B Ch. I lost the game to A. Mann, and it was a good lesson going into what will be my toughest test in many a year, the Reno City Championship.

My opponent wasn't having a good tournament (1 point in 5 games) and I had beaten him earlier--which from now on will be a danger sign for me. I thought that if I just played very agressively and threw the kitchen sink at his King he would surely make an error...instead he won material, and consolidated with good play to an ending with a piece for two pawns, which he duly won. So at 2.5-3.5 I basically marched in place, ratings-wise. A missed opportunity.

In the next tournament I will be the lowest rated--5 games against a field averaging 1846. It will probably take three points to move on to the championship matches. For just about the first time in my life, I'm going to avoid the 'death or glory' approach to every game. A draw or two would help my chances, as long as I can also win a couple. It will not be an easy road, but I love being in there against the higher rated players.

I'll regularly update the results and some of my preparation for this big event.

No comments: