Thursday, April 13, 2006

OTB v. Everything Else

I enjoy over-the-board (OTB), rated games far more than any other form of chess. I've tried internet chess and enjoyed it, but I like to look the opponent in the eye, watch his (or her) facial expressions, his body language. I want to match wits with, to fight a person, not a handle on a computer screen.

The atmosphere of a chess club is comfortable, like a good pair of jeans, to me; silence during the games but for the ticking clocks, animated post-mortems, the occasional 'difference of opinion.' Playing computers may be useful training, but it bores me; playing what amounts to correspondence chess at Red Hot Pawn is fun and instructive, but the pace doesn't allow the blood to stir.

Nothing will ever replace sitting down at a chess board with physical pieces and playing for enjoyment, pride, beauty and rating points.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Robert, I agree. Over-the-board chess is by far the form most gratifying. Chess also has somewhat of a 'gun-slinger' element to it. Eric

Jeff said...

I'm happy to say that I have never played an OTB game similar to the fiasco we have on-going at Red Hot Pawn. I enjoy OTB chess, but finding the time for games is often impossible in my world. The internet offers plentiful opponents, of varying strengths, at flexible time controls. Not having chess on the web would certainly be a downer for me.

Jeff said...

Ooo btw if it makes you feel better, I've been squirming over that game for almost 2 weeks now.