Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Chessloser Reflects on His First Tournament

In his inimitable style, here.

I note his descriptions of some chess parents, and I cringe:

outside, i thank him. i tell his mom and coach he played really well, i got lucky. his mom is angry at him, his coach is angry at him. his mom says “you didn’t get lucky, he played bad and let you get lucky.” i thank her and quickly back away. poor kid.

I have some thoughts about this and related subjects which I'll be sharing with you soon...in the meantime, see also his interview with FM Danny Rensch.

What a blogger, what a blog!

3 comments:

transformation said...

i am all ears on this comming soon!

Ryan said...

I think parenting like that is, to all intents and purposes, child abuse. The mother should be ashamed of herself.

Unknown said...

I'm constantly amazed at the sheer number of people who do not understand the value of a hobby or the value of healthy competition.

I don't care if its basket-weaving, white-water rafting, taking photographs in the wild, competitive chess or whatever your passion happens to be; they are all excellent escapes from reality and I think everyone needs that from time to time.

One more thing, the people who are usually against hobbies and outside activities are usually those who are so miserable as to not to have any themselves!