Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Reno CC. Ch. Qualifier, Brandt-Pearson Rd. 4, 0-1

Here is the game from Sunday night where I win my way into contention for the Club Championship--all I have to do now is defeat a former champ on Thursday, then win three matches! (See my previous post).

The thing I like about the game from my side is that I didn't do anything too wild and blunderful--just tried to play solidly in the opening, though I don't think my opening was that great; 6. Qb3 seems better, and on the ninth move White shouldn't relieve the tension with Nxg6, and in either case I think White is better. After 10. ... Bd6 it felt like Black had the initiative. Barry was kind enough to review the game with me and these are mostly his suggestions.

After my 32. ... c4 I thought I was going to win, but put that thought away and just concentrated on playing good moves and not "Wanting" (as J. Rowson put it in Seven Deadly Chess Sins). So, not a brilliant or beautiful game in some ways, but I'm starting to get the idea that wins without any big fireworks can be beautiful in their own way.

Reader comments would be much appreciated.

[Event "Reno CC Ch. Qualifier"]
[Site "Reno, NV"]
[Date "2007.05.13"]
[Round "4"]
[White "Brandt, B."]
[Black "Pearson, R."]
[Result "0-1"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 d5 3. Nf3 Bf5 4. Nbd2 e6 5. c3 Nbd7 6. b4 Be7 7. Nh4 Bg6 8. e3 c6 9. Nxg6 hxg6 10. a4 Bd6 11. f4 Qc7 12. h3 Ne4 13. Nxe4 dxe4 14. Qg4 Nf6 15. Bxf6 gxf6 16. Be2 f5 17. Qg3 Be7 18. Qf2 a5 19. b5 c5 20. O-O Bh4 21. g3 Be7 22. b6 Qxb6 23. Rab1 Qc7 24. Bb5+ Kf8 25. h4 Bf6 26. Kg2 Ke7 27. Rbd1 Rag8 28. d5 exd5 29. Rxd5 Rd8 30. c4 Rxd5 31. cxd5 Kd6 32. Rh1 c4 33. Qa2 c3 34. Rd1 Qc5 35. Qf2 Rc8 36. g4 c2 37. Rc1 Bb2 38. Rxc2 Qxc2 39. Be2 Qd2 0-1


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back! congrats on winning the game, i hope it is a sign of good things to come...stay focused and loose...it *is* a brilliant game, it doesn't have to have all the fireworks and sparks and such. a good solid well executed game is art. kick ass...

transformation said...

thank you for your comment.

your chessblog is always so consistent, razor sharp or clear in format and layout, and evidence of a sessioned, mature, chess mind who obviously knows what it is all about. double bravo.

this game? white's b4 is suspect, and continues as such. he fails to develop, protect his K, and a premature pawn move, and offering you at no cost the open h file, which never had to be used, but increasing the value of your R's, ect. i dont know the rating of white, but either this person didnt respect your game, and played sloppy, or didnt know better, either way no adherence to development or opening principles.

i understand the Q pawn opening very well, and this is not the right way! fyi, Gata Kamsky plays it now or again.

ive delayed for long on any chess viewer aplets or imbedded tools, but i like this one.

in fact, i added your link before leaving for my trip east last week, so very satisfying to be visited and visit. connection works; knowledge communities work!

warm regards, david

XY said...

Well done. It's always nice to get one of those middle-game pawns into the enemy camp. The whole game becomes centered around them, and if one can keep it from being taken the game is usually won (I think).