Monday, April 20, 2009

Favorites (I)

In the comments to my last post, welcoming him back, Tommyg writes:

By the way I noticed in your profile under favorite music that you had AC/DC and Sinatra back to back! LOVE THAT!

That's one of the things I like about Tommyg, he gets it. So many people figure that if you like AC/DC you can like, say, Aerosmith, but you can't like, say, Beethoven.

WRONG.

I love Beethoven, especially the Ninth Symphony, especially the fourth movement, especially the part where the deep-voiced guy breaks into the German...a translation for ya:

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
We enter fire imbibed,
Heavenly, thy sanctuary.

Be embraced, Millions!
This kiss for all the world!
Brothers!, above the starry canopy
A loving father must dwell.


I also love the music of the Rolling Stones, especially the album Some Girls, especially this song, especially this live version of this song at that moment, the best live version, given the circumstances, that will ever be:

Rolling Stones - When the whip comes down

Why? For the reason everyone loves certain art; it is sympathy...

2 comments:

From the patzer said...

Like who or what you want, love who or what you want. It makes you you.

Tommyg said...

YEAH! I actually think that many of the different styles of music have a LOT in common. I mean Beethoven, Aretha Franklin, John Coltrane, Led Zeppelin etc. etc. are all very similar to me. In fact the more different kind of musics that I study and listen to, the more I cherish the music I am already more familiar with. (there could be a chess analogy here...hmmm??)

I am currently studying and listening to a lot of early early reggae and am deriving a lot of inspiration AND enjoyment from it.

So at your next party crank up The Stones, Sinatra, AC/DC and then end it all with the 4th movement of Beethoven's Ninth! And that would be SOME party!